I hope you had a great Christmas with your family and friends!
We have one more week in 2016 which means ’tis still the season when book lovers discover and sign up for a new year of reading challenges. I’ve been so looking forward to this time because I can finally roll out a project Steven and I have been working on for several months now.
Reading has been something we’ve done together off and on throughout our dating relationship and we both really enjoy it! As we’ve been planning our future, we’ve been talking about how much we want reading to be a part of our everyday routine. We both believe in the importance of good reading and want to be intentional about it as a married couple. Instead of just making it a line item on a list of New Year’s resolutions or marriage goals, we decided to do a challenge to keep us on track.
Thus was born The Couples Reading Challenge.
Our goal next year is to read 12 books together in 2017. We’ve never done anything like this before and we’re excited to share this experience with you and would love to have you join us! Last year, I hosted the first Grown Up Reading Challenge (2017 challenge post coming soon!) and this year we’re challenging married and engaged couples to not only read like grown ups, but to read together.
HOW IT WORKS:
- You and your partner complete 12 books, one from each theme, between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017.
- Any format is acceptable (hard copy, e-book, audiobook)
- Crossovers to other challenges are allowed encouraged, and totally expected 😉
Yep, that’s it! Nothin’ to it! Plus, there are a few optional add-ons as well:
- Monthly surprise activity will be posted at the beginning of the month as well. Some months will have date night ideas and others will have personal development challenges. It’s not enough just to read great stuff, you have to let it influence the way you live!
- Each post will have discussion questions to ask each other. Some of you may want to blog or journal about it and some of you may just have a great conversation over dinner or in the car. Whatever you do, let it be an opportunity to connect with each other.
And what are the themes you ask? Here you go:
January – Spiritual Growth/Inspirational
February – Marriage/Intimacy
March – Healthy Living
April – Finance/Stewardship
May – Nature
June – Self-Improvement
July – Classic
August – Hobby
September – Simple Living
October – History/Biography
November – Culture
December – Childhood Favorite
If you want to participate but feel a bit overwhelmed or intimidated, then feel free to make adjustments to fit your needs! Remember, the goal is to finish 12 books together. Be flexible if you have to. And you don’t have to choose long books. There is a lot going on in our lives and I know that one of the biggest challenges for us will be time! When it comes to choosing a book, short and sweet is just fine!
If you want to blog through the challenge, link up your intro post below:
If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave comments on the posts!
If you want to stay up to date with the reading challenge by email, sign up to get updates and messages sent to your inbox!
The hashtags for the challenge will be #couplesreadingchallenge2017 and #couplesread2017.
And here are images for sharing!
We look forward to a new year of reading!
Have a wonderful week and happy almost new year!!